Not too long ago I asked all of you readers what you want to talk about in this space this year. True, I’m the one writing and posting most of the time, but that doesn’t mean this is the Amber Show. I want the words shared here to matter to you just as much as they matter to me.
Anyway, I asked, you answered, and I’ve basically been high-fiving a million angels ever since then because if that was our first DTR (determine the relationship) then I’m pretty sure you and I have never been more on the same page.
I read every single one of your responses and I was so excited because it sounds like we want to talk about all the same things.
SO, on the chance that you’re still not sure what to expect in this space, why you’re here, or if you want to stay, I thought it would be a good idea to discuss where we’re headed in 2018 so you can decide if you want to follow along. (I really hope you do!)
I feel like I say this all the time, but I understand that your time is precious. Any 5 minute window you have to scroll is sacred because it’s where you’re choosing to give your attention. We have to guard and filter the voices we allow into our lives which is why I want to start with a heartfelt Thank You for allowing me into yours.
It’s also why I want to respectfully avoid any “bait and switch” feelings by clearly explaining what this blog can offer you.
- If you’re here because you want some entertainment, encouragement, or simply to hear from me, but you don’t want it every single day like that incessant badgering from the dealership where you bought your Chevy Traverse 4 years ago, then you’ve come to the right place. I will post here at most, once a week.
- If you’re here for the GIFs, don’t worry, they’re *clearly* not going anywhere. For better or worse, they are my love language (second only to burritos) and as far as I’m concerned a GIF is worth a thousand words. And you know how verbose I can get, so you’re welcome for using animated pictures instead.
- If you’re here for the house-flipping photos and updates, there will still be some of that but it’s not going to be the main focus. I love interior design, renovating old homes, and taking something old and making it new. We’re always working on some kind of project, either here on the farm or on another home, so I’ll try to keep you guys updated with fun Before & After photos whenever possible, but just as it’s a “side” venture to our day jobs, it’s a side dish of the blog as well. (Related: this Spring we’ll be building a pole barn/ fireplace for an outdoor entertaining space so stay tuned if you’d like to see that project as it progresses.)
- And if you’re here for the Let’s Play Oprah posts, then have no fear, they’re here to stay. Dishing with you guys on all our favorite TV shows, products, foods, podcasts, books, drinks, and music is one of the highlights of my month. Because it’s fun! And we are fun-havers!
You probably already know this by now, but if there’s two things I could talk forever about without tiring, it’s real motherhood and pursuing creative work in the middle of our right-now lives.
According to your responses, those were the two most resoundingly interesting topics to you too.
Guys, do you know what this means? It means that we are on the same page!
I mean, is there anything better?
I freaking love us!
So here’s what you can expect from me this year:
- Honest and funny stories about what it’s REALLY like to raise kids, to wonder if you’re doing it right, and to figure out how to grow your own dreams right along with them. We’ll be covering the good, the bad, the annoying, the unexpected, the delightful, the unbearably tender and sweet, the hilarious, and the downright terrifying.
- Encouragement for all of you who don’t identify as “the creative type” but secretly wish you did. (Spoiler alert: if you’re a human person, you’re creative. The end.) BUT, I know this feel and don’t worry, I’ve got you boo.
You can also expect inspiration if you already recognize your creative art and want to get after it, but you aren’t sure how it fits into the landscape of your actual, daily life. If you feel constantly needed, yet rarely seen.
If you’re deeply fulfilled by motherhood but you suspect that it’s not your main identifier, the only important work you’ll ever do, or the final chapter in the story God is writing for you.
If you feel an ache and a longing, not for a different life, but a deeper life.
One where you’re fully awake to your unique gifting and have the courage to pursue it with boldness and an unflagging joy.
If you have dreams tucked away in the corners of your heart, but you’re too afraid to name them because you’re not sure if they’re too big or too small.
If fear, doubt, and the minutia of the day keep you from moving towards them.
I’m not saying I have all the answers, but I am saying that my heart is in that same boat, asking all those questions, and if yours is too, then I’d love to dig in together. To cheer each other on, to pull each other up the hill, and as always, to find the humor along the way.
I should also warn you that there will be regular SNL references, movie quotes, and occasional updates of life here on the farm including pictures of our animals because apparently I am now all in with this farm life. I mean, I always knew I was a dog lover, but who knew that baby goats could be so stinkin cute too?
So if that all sounds fun to you, then I’m so glad, and I will do my best to bring value and entertainment to your day. I hope that you scroll to the bottom of this post or to the right index of this page and enter your email address so you don’t miss any of the fun.
Before I go, can I just say that I love this little ragtag community we’ve created?
I’m deeply grateful for your generous honesty, your openness, your savvy, your sense of humor, your kindness, and your bravery.
Please never stop showing up, commenting, sharing, and inviting your friends into this space. It means the world to me.
* this post was sent from my computer and my heart*